Monday, January 30, 2006

You've Cried Enough This Lifetime, My Beloved Polar Bear


This weeks Gigs-That-I-Missed: Hot Chip and Open Prison. I'm getting used to it now, almost.




February is going to be fun. Look!

08.02 Test Icicles Magnet
13.02. Arab Strap Magnet
16.02. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah Postbahnhof
18.02. the Figurines White Trash
18.02 Calla Knaack
19.02. Diamond Nights Magnet

For the past few days I have been listening obsessively to the MSTRKRFT remix of Bloc Party's "Two More Years". I found it here, after being pointed in the right direction by mister fancypants . I can't get enough of this song. Just! So! Good! That was last Thursday - imagine my delight when I went out dancing that night and it came on! I was not really into the origional version much - when I heard it first it sounded to me like a lacklustre copycat attempt. Loving the remix so much has definitely encouraged me to rethink that first impression.

I'm at home in Ireland for a few days, I was missing ham sandwiches and tea. Plus, my dad built a dancefloor in our back garden so we could rip it up till all hours in celebration of my sister's 21st birthday. Karl who normally djs at the Funk Up spun alooottt of great records for us - one in particular - "Going Nowhere" by Cut Copy, which was actually the song that started off the night's dancing. I was in the middle of talking to someone and rudely abandoned them to run over to the decks and ask "WHO IS THIS?!?!?!" I was very happy when I found out - I've loved "Saturdays" for a long time and Bright Like Leon Love is on my list of "To-Get" albums, along with eleventy bajillion others...I'll have to bump it up a few places. Their website is all kinds of RAD.

I'm definitely turning on the radio tomorrow night between 7-10pm cos Tom Dunne is talking to Jenny Wilson. I saw her at Bastard supporting Architecture in Helsinki, SHE IS GREAT! I have a good excuse for sitting in hugging the radio, I'm dying of the evil killer death flu (well thats what it feels like) and alot of late nights out from the past week have finally caught up with me.

Another first impression I have since deviated from is that which I was holding against the Arctic Monkeys. I can't remember what song it was, it was quite a few months ago, but I remember thinking, "absolute claptrap!" Apart from "I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor" being the best song ever, dancing to "When the Sun Goes Down" (not, "The Scummy Bastard Song"...) might be the best dancing ever.

i hope i actually get to go to a gig sometime soon.

No comments: