Thursday, January 05, 2006

Why Won't You Listen, When I Stomp My Feet?

Today was freezing. But I really wanted to check out this exhibition. Never mind that I'm too broke for a U-Bahn trip (and not enough of a chancer to chance it without paying....when sober.) 2 listens to "Funeral" later and I arrived at the gallery. I got to wander around the place totally by myself.

So I have been thinking about my favourite songs from last year. 2005. I couldn't help thinking of gigs instead. So it's a mix of gigs & songs. Hurrah! In no particular order, because that would take me another year. It's already January 5th! And sometimes I just couldn't whittle it down to one song.

Don't Save Us From the Flames / I Guess I'm Floating -- M83. I love M83.

All That You Can Do / Where The Humans Eat -- Willy Mason. Track number three and also the title track of Willy's debut album. Nobody else wrote a song about their greedy cats in '05 (i am glad that the photos i took at this gig are somewhere where i can't get at them. terrible. swooshy. can hardly make him out for the blurs.) The Sugar Club, Dublin January 2005. I hadn't started this gig-blog thing at the time I saw him play. He was drunk on guinness and stuffed the venue out completely. People were sitting on eachothers laps and stuff.

At The Hop -- Devendra Banhart. Nobody else made a song as sweet and lovely and singable as this in '05...maybe in '55. 29th July, The Village, Dublin.
(really bad phone photo from the gig. you can just about make out the big hair.)




Goodbye Little Rose -- The Little Flames. A stomper. Noone else made a song like this in '05...maybe in '65...

Slow Hands / Evil -- Interpol. I can't pick between these two songs. so HA!
(Oh. Another terrible photograph. Olympia Theatre, Dublin. April 6th '05)

Rebellion (Fire) -- Arcade Fire. The intro to this song kills me..who am i kidding, this whole album kills me.

Plans / This Modern Love -- Bloc Party. Like Eating Glass was on repeat for a long time, though.

Why Do You Love Me -- Garbage. Lovelovelove. (Ooh. in 2006, watch out for a band called Lovelovelove. Electro, maybe. Ssh!)

Satan Said Dance! - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Obviously going to keep the dancefloors filled this year.

Heartbeats -- The Knife. This song cuts deep. Cannot wait for a live show. Can. Not. (Feel lucky in a way though, have seen Jose Gonzalez & Jenny Wilson, both Knife-related artists. Yes. )

Did i do 10?

So. I'm indecisive and take terrible photographs!


No comments: