Friday, February 24, 2006

You're So Pretty I Could Talk to You All Night

Last night worked out really well. I was really excited about this gig which was sort of showcasing these up and coming bands. From what I'd heard I knew I was going to like them alot. First on was Field Music, who played some very lovely and very charming songs. This trio hails from Sunderland, and at one time or another the line-up has included Barry Futurehead and Tom English from Maximo Park. Well, last night it was brothers Peter (who used to be the Futureheads drummer...) and David Brewis who swapped around on drums and vocals, with Andrew Moore on keyboard. The last song of their set was the one that stole my heart. "Pretty". It's a really gorgeous song and is free to download at their site aswell as some others. "You Can Decide", highly recommended. I'm not sure, I'll take a guess that it's Peter, in the photo. he's so skinny, and his trousers are so high. You just want to take him by the hand and bring him home and give him a cup of tea. When he sings he stands on the tips of his toes.























Here's some interesting things that MaximoP singer Paul (who isn't too flattering on contemporary bands) had to say about them:
"It's like chamber pop. It is brilliant orchestration. There are string quartets on more of the album, but all the songs are in crazy time signatures. It's really sweet music, like Big Star and the Beach Boys. Some people wonder why Maximo Park brought this band on tour with them. They made one of the best British albums any band has done. When they play live it is quite different because they swap instruments. They have a younger drummer now since Tom left. They are quite genuine people. There is not much that in music I suppose.













Next up was My Latest Novel, who are just amazing. Their music is so powerful live. I nearly died when they played "The Hope Edition", that violin just kills me. This band has alot of absolutely fantastic songs and there's so much happening onstage, there's alot to take in. I found myself constantly hypnotised, whether by lead singer Chris Deveney as he gripped the microphone and stared piercingly into the crowd, or their guitarist who looked as though he was going to rip the strings right off his guitar he was playing so ferociously. Each member seems to work independently, and by doing so brings their own intensity. I felt like their personalities and characters really shone through as they played.





While they were playing, it struck me that My Latest Novel are the first band I've seen who manage to keep the depth and sincerity of their songs while adding a little bit of twee gloss and sparkle. That sounds funny. I dunno how to explain it better..the xylophone or mini keyboard blow-y thing didn't take away from the power that their songs have. You weren't thinking "aww" but "OWWWWWW THIS HURTS". I've never seen a xylophone so fiercely pounded before, either. They put so much into their songs, especially "The Reputation of Ross Francis"...and finishing up their set with "When We Were Wolves" was almost too much.

Er. I came across someone with a link to the whole of their new album, "Wolves". It's not the year of the dog, it's the year of the Wolf.





So then Tilly and the Wall came on and were really fun and I like them alot even though the tap dancing girl is kind of annoying. There i said it, i'm sorry but she kept reminding me of some little kid going "look at me everyone! look what i can do!" Maybe just cos im learning the drums, and the distinct absence of one (they totally disassembled the kit that the two previous bands had been using..) and blatant celebration of that fact may have pissed me off..on..some..level. But that would be really petty and small-minded of me. Okfinethen. She had a nice t-shirt and must be very fit. I kept trying not to get distracted by her and focus on the rest, especially the two main singers who were doing an amazing job of singing their gorgeous songs. One covered in tattoos with a bull-ring through her nose, the other looking like Chrissie Hynde's gorgeous younger sister. Then what looked like two absolute stoner boys on keyboards and acoustic guitar. Their songs were really pretty, they played alot of new material, one was practically a Spanish flamenco and I wonder if they have alot of country music influences going on in there too. My night had already been made though, I was under the spell of My Latest Novel and found it kind of hard to shake off. I really enjoyed their set anyway, I just think I was in the wrong mindset for it after the heartwrenching performance I had just seen. The whole tap-dancing thing is a pretty damn origional idea, and it did sound quite cool.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Thanks for the link, the album is excellent.
My Latest Novel are the best new band I've seen in ages, can't wait to catch them live again.

Elizabeth said...

i tried downloading it a few times, but the album won't play for me..must just be my craptop..the band weren't too excited about Berlin for some reason, i really do hope they come back.