Thursday, February 16, 2006

Who - Will Get Me To A Party? Who - Do I Have Yet To Meet?



It was riot and mayhem at the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah gig tonight.

The support band came onstage and made everyone have a great time with their great music. Not only did i not miss them, I arrived 10 minutes early. I had time to leave in my jacket, get myself a beer AND get in the second row! Dr. Dog. Who the hell are they? I dunno, but they are the total opposite of their unimaginative crap name. i think i fell in love to "Wake Up" which is totally available for download at their website or their myspace. Though the live version is faster and noisier than that. This is not their website. This is. There's four songs for downloadin' there. Fetch! Sorry, ha ha! I have to say, those mp3s are nice but they aren't as energetic and noisy and full of harmonies and deadly guitar hooks as the live versions. This band sounds like Brian Wilson's neighbour's kids when they stayed over at Neil Young's house this one time and Beck came over. One of them was wearing the exact same sunglasses i had when i was 9, circa 1992. You know, with the neon pink...what's the word for part of the glasses that sit on your ears? I have to quote this. Just have to. "Seems sure to attract a rabid cult following." - New York Times. HAHAHA. Yes indeed, i totally agree.



We did not have to wait long for CYHSY to come onstage after the opening act. Well, the balloons had to be set up first. The stage was decked out in silver balloons. ("By The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth") "Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away" started off all the craziness. It is a great opening song. Instantly there was pushing and shoving and jumping and alot of clapping. That was me, i clapped alot. And tried not to fall over. Well, i did last about a half an hour in the mosh pit. But I was getting totally trampled, and it was hard to take photographs. They played a new song that I loved, but it got no introduction. I think it had a line that went, "I've been waiting for your call..I've got a blister on my forehead from leaning against the wall." Right after that Alec Ounsworth said, "that was new. this is new aswell. it's called Satan Said DANCE!.." and i was the only one that went "WOOOO!". But people caught on pretty quick. It was so great to hear this song again, I LOVE IT.

The band seemed kind of sad and frosty at the beginning. Apart from the tall one with the shiny golden locks. With his floppy hair and tambourine and big smile. Gosh.

I think his name is Robbie Guertin.






They were getting such a great reaction though, they were ALL smiling by the end. Even AO, who even kept saying "thank you". The crowd was so into all the songs, not just "Over and Over Again (Lost and Found)". Their last gig here in December was in tiny Mudd Club. This time around the Postbahnhof was all filled up with mad, clapping, people. And they knew all the words. "In This Home on Ice" and "Is This Love" just brought down the house. I was beside two of the funniest dancing boys ever. They looked like they were having conniptions and if they didn't get to kiss Alec Ounsworth, they would just die. Clap Your Hands..finished off their main set with "Child Stars" and since the house had already been brought down, the sky fell in.

There were two encores. And then the lights came up and the background music started again. BUT THEY CAME BACK FOR ONE MORE SONG! And brought Dr. Dog with them! Omghootenanny.

What a deadly gig.


Clap your hands!
When I feel so lonely
Clap your hands!
When I won't do nothing
Clap your hands!
When I have no money
Clap your hands!
When it don't seem likely
Clap your hands!
Are you up to something?
Clap your hands!
Where's my milk and honey?
Clap your hands!
When I just look funny
Clap your hands!
I just wait, a while

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !
Nice review, I was at the concert, too, and I'm glad that a finally found a review with photos from the gig.
By the way, they started with "Let The Cool Goddess Rust Away".

Elizabeth said...

Oh! I was so sure they played "..yellow country teeth" as the first song. Weird.

Elizabeth said...

ps - i'll get more photos up!

shane said...

I remember the Mudd Club gig, the crowd didn't really know them and they made fun of that blonde guy's voice - he sounds like Michael Jackson - and on our way out, we passed the band loading their stuff into a van. They've come a long way pretty fast!

Elizabeth said...

i know, i remember that. he was the only member of the band who said "thank you" when people clapped. i felt bad, this time around he hardly said anything at all! it is hard to believe that gig was just over 2 months ago..people were so much more familiar with them this time, it was class.