Thursday, August 25, 2005

Wanna Disco, Wanna See Me Disco?


Ladies and gentlemen, set yourselves on fire!

Yesterday we found an Oxfam charity shop, of course i rifled through the cds, and found one from my "youth" i.e 7 years ago when I was 16 and used to go out more times a week than i had hot dinners and dance, dance, dance. Novy V Eniac "Superstar". The video was this blonde chick having the best time ever dancing.

At the time, there were only two places that played good music. I was wierd. I was listening to Blur and Pulp at home and then out all night dancing to Delerium et al 4 nights a week. One place was a regular nightclub with a back dancefloor called The Garden, of course it had vine leaves and flowers painted all over the walls. If you paid in you could eat for free in the restaurant, that was bizarre, but good. The other was the nightclub of a hotel. All mirrors on the walls, dodgy alcahol at the bar, a shiny disco ball and fancy seating area.

..a little bit of nostalgia for 1 euro, donated to charity and all.

My legs are so dead from riding my bike all over Berlin today in search of a place to live. I got one (there's a balcony that runs the length of the apartment!) and I also got the new album from Stars. "Set Yourself on Fire". I love Stars. Who else would depict a naked chick wearing a pink balaclava and holding a blowtorch on the cover of their third album? STARS! Lovely. Ok so I love it. They haven't strayed too far from the sound of "Heart". There's more, though. More happy, more urgency, they have given us alot more with this new record. I just love the juxtaposition of Amy and Torque's singing voices. A standout track for dream days and evening sighs is definitely "Ageless Beauty". Ok they all are. It was a brave/stupid decision to leave all my music behind me in Dublin, but I had to really. There may not be logic in simply gathering another collection while I'm here. I am very happy that this album is the extent of my music collection right now. I shouldn't have written about it when I'm stil only in the middle of my first listen. but HOORAY! It's just gorgeous. Dreamy pop indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness - you've moved to Berlin! yay liz!