Friday, September 02, 2005

Crayon Smith Reveals All in Just Got Back From Holidays Shocker!

In the happy days following Crayonsmith's great live gig at Crawdaddy, I wrote to Ciaran aka Crayonsmith and asked for a little interview via email action. Here's the goodness:

(Ok, so imagine i am serious, professional journalist from Rolling Stone magazine.)

Q1. So, what is that machine that you record all the noises on?
A.Its a drum machine that I got in America about four years ago.

Q2. Do you have time to listen to other people's music at the moment? If so, what are you listening to?
A. Yeah, I just spent a week travelling around Ireland on holiday listening to Mates of State, Cursive,The White Album,Abbey Road,Pavement and Pedro the Lion.


Q3. If i said your music reminds me a little of David Kitt, what would you think?
A.I've had those comparisons in the past, as people would mention the whole "one guy with a guitar and a mini-disc/drum machine" thing.I have his first two albums and I think there's some very good stuff there. If you're told that you sound like someone who you yourself bought and liked, I guess it's a good thing!


Q4. Do you like pineapple?
A.Yeah, especially on pizza.

Q5. Where can one obtain a copy of your EP "You Get Down Here"? How long did it take to make?
A.One can obtain it at gigs.It's like a sampler kind of thing.The songs are on my debut album which I just finished but they've been re-recorded. The album took a year to make as I had to learn so much about recording and mixing and all that.


Q6. Do you write your songs from personal experiences, or just make stuff up?
A. About 95 % from experience and 5% from fictional and imaginary situations. So I dip into both areas until I have a complete picture in each song.


Q7. What is your favourite instrument to play?
A. Guitar.With different tunings the opportunites are endless.


Q8. Are you going to Electric Picnic? If so, who are you going to go see?
A. I can't afford to go!I'd love to see Kraftwerk and Nick Cave.I've seen The Flaming Lips and LCD Soundsystem before and I loved them.Oh, and best of luck to The Chalets!


Q9. Do you ever get nervous before playing live? What helps you calm down?
A. It's more of an adrenaline rush as opposed to nerves and I don't try to go against it or calm down at all.I think you should definitely feel SOMETHING before you go on stage because you're transmitting that to the audience.


Q10. Which has been your favourite gig so far?
A. Actually, the Crawdaddy one where you saw me. I don't play with a mini-disc anymore and this was the gig where I moved closer to where I want to go using drum machines, keyboards, guitar and beats and noises in between songs .I knew very few people in the crowd and the fact that by the end of the set you can hear strangers cheering and moving closer to the stage is extremely satisfying, but at the same time humbling.


Q11. It is very impressive to see you play all the instruments onstage by yourself. If you could have anybody, ever, play in your band, who would it be?
A.Oh, thanks!My friend, Ruadhan, from Hermie in Tweed is playing keys and doing backing vocals with me now and thats all I need for the moment until I feel the urge to add more people.If I was to get someone to play bass it would be Ronan Jackson from the Coldspoon Conspiracy - he's amazing!

Wasn't that great???!!! Thanks Crayonsmith! You're the bestest. Hurrah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If he likes pineapple then he is ok with me. ps good shit ms music journo!